Sunday, February 10, 2008

Pets in our Lives



Dictionary tells me, the word, "Pet" means, any domesticated or tamed animal that is kept as a companion and cared for affectionately. However, it's derivative meaning seems to amuse me quite a bit..."a person especially cherished or indulged", more so because, it precedes an application like, a teacher's pet! After all, it's about favoritism...you see!

Jokes apart, I believe, it's actual meaning encompasses a broader spectrum of attributes that these printed words, simply, fail to explain. It's not merely confined to the "goochi goochi poo" aspect of affection– Pet is also about a loyal friend, a non-deserter companion and sometimes a counter-recognition of Life itself!

Now, moving on to the more obvious question...when does one usually get a pet? Well, may be, when one feels lonely, lacks attention – sounds very selfish though...doesn't it? Unfortunately, there just might be some truth in it!


My dear Rescue friends, never would I like to simulate that people with pets are selfish and they do so because they have no life (so to speak/write)...on the contrary, I would think, it REQUIRES a noble spirit to adopt/save lives (even souls? …let's not debate) of the endangered ones. But the fact remains...

I know it because, I got my first pet from my uncle when we set out to live in another town where he could not visit me that much. He thought, despite parents' attention, I would get lonely in a new place. I'll also confess as to why I got my darling wife, her aquarium when she came to this country for the first time. Just because, I knew she would feel lonely till she joins the work force here!

Am I trying to make you guys think all over again or giving you a guilty conscience as to why you might have got your pet(s)? Not really...conversely, I think we become better human-beings once, we realize that our love transcends beyond our own kind. Compare, the love my neighbor's two-year-old has for his pup to how you/I feel for our dog in a quiet (not lonely but without any human company) fishing trip. Love evolves with time and maturity.


Now, that I got you all mushy, tell me who/what is a Pet according to you and why did you get (would like to get) one for yourself? I am asking all of you...seriously...

No comments: